Thursday, February 7, 2013

Cowl Neck Scarf

This thing is yummy. And cosy. Why did it take me so long to make one?!

It’s the Burberry Inspired Cowl Neck Scarf (link to Ravelry) and it was seeing Debbie’s lovely version that made me dig out my knitting needles again. (sorry for the low-res phone pic)

2013-02-01 005

The yarn is Cascade Yarns Eco Duo, Baby Alpaca and Merino Wool. It’s beautifully soft and warm.

2013-02-01 004

I love the yarn, and I love the pattern. But I don’t love the combination of *this* yarn’s variegated colours and the cabled pattern. I need to find a simpler pattern for the yarn, and a solid colour for the pattern.

2013-02-07_002

I wasn’t expecting the almost perfect repetition of colour, the yarn in skein form seemed – to me – to look more random.

While knitting this on my old plastic circular needles, of which I had 4 or 5 sets in the same size! (that happens when you work at summer jobs away from home during university and feel the urge to knit), I realized the truth that others have written about: Good tools will enhance the experience of creating something. So yes, I’m seriously considering getting some better needles, as those plastic ones were so stiff and contorted it was a struggle the whole way.

2013-02-07_003

At least I learned how to wind a center-pull ball from a skein, thanks to some videos on Youtube. It was monotonous but fun to do! And I don’t quite know how I managed it, but it didn’t come out in a round, ball shape, but more of a dome shape. It’s great actually, as the bottom is fairly flat and it sits there without rolling around! Perhaps it came out like this because I wound it loosely, the second ball was wound a bit tighter and it’s more rounded.

Yarn used for cowl neck warmer

I’ve got 2 more skeins in the same yarn, so I think I’ll look for a simpler pattern for the next one.

Thank you Debbie, and everybody else who’ve been showing their lovely knitted cowl neck scarves.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, it's lovely! I pinned this pattern on pinterest myself, but it's too hard for me at this stage I think. Yours does look fantastic, though. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karin! But you CAN do this! You just finished your Kim Hargreaves Page cardigan, and that is WAY more complicated than this cowl! Beautiful job by the way.
      Cables are simple, but just a bit fiddly and tight when you knit the bypassed stitches back on.

      Delete
  2. Interesting how the variegated yarn has lined up, and it looks so cozy and warm, just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so neat to see how the yarn stripes on the cowl, just like Sharon said. I love the color of this!

    I'm not a fan of center-pulls because the structure falls apart as you pull out the yarn. This bothers me more than having to unwind my ball or skein during the entire knitting process!

    ReplyDelete