Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pavlova Wrap Top

…is finished. I finally managed to follow along with a sew along! It’s great to see everyone else’s versions coming to life. (Updated March 29 with better pictures.)

Pavlova Wrap Top with Talbots wrap skirt copy

Pavlova Wrap Top with Talbots wrap skirt copy

Pattern:  Cake patterns #0169, Pavlova Wrap Top and Skirt. I just made the top.

Description:  Ballet style wrap top in jersey ties at the natural waist while the back tucks into the skirt as a 'muffin cover.' The top is cut all in one piece with the sleeves, which may be cut longer or shorter. The four-piece circle skirt makes optimal use of fabric, zips up the back and features a pintucked patch pocket. A strong, simple, neat double binding finishes the waist edge of the skirt.

Sizing: I was on the bottom end of size 35, but went down to a 30 and made some alterations.

Fabric:  From the stash. It’s a pretty stretchy cotton/spandex knit from Fabricland, bought over a year ago. I used approximately 1.2 m of 140-ish cm width.

Alterations:  Since I went down a size I had to lengthen the top by 1.5 inches, and increase the circumference of the sleeves by 1 inch. I ended up lengthening the top in 2 places, splitting the increase, and the higher increase also incorporated the sleeve width increase.

Likes/Dislikes:  I do like this top, especially the back ‘muffin cover’! It’s very comfortable to wear. But because this top stops just at/below the waist, it is best worn with skirts/pants that are waist high (unless you don’t mind exposing your belly!) I don’t have any high-waisted pants or jeans, just a couple of skirts.

Steam-a-Seam!! I’d never used this before, can you believe it? It’s amazing stuff! This made sewing the loooong front facing so easy, as NO pins were required.

Notes:  The neckband application is a bit unusual, and I stared at the instructions for quite some time (other participants mentioned the same thing). Steph C (the designer) added more photos and tips during the sewalong, which were invaluable in figuring it out!

There are a few things that need tweaking: the sleeves need to be longer OR shorter, they’re right ON my elbow and it’s rather annoying. Another 1/2 inch added to the sleeve width would also make it more comfortable. I’d probably also add another inch to the body length, so it’s not so snug on my shoulders.

Conclusion:  I’d probably make one more top in another colour, maybe two more. I just like having multiples of the same things! It would be interesting to make this in a slightly warmer/thicker fabric, as long as it has great drape. I’m just a bit concerned with the amount of fabric at the waist, it’s not a place where I need more bulk! Merino wool knit sounds fabulous, I just don’t know where to find this in Canada.

One thing I have realized is that I won’t be making the skirt. There’s a lot of fabric there, and being the pear shape I am, it will only make me look more so!

So there you have it! I have been quite busy sewing and there are two more finished objects: a ruched-raglan sleeve Burda top 02/2013 #127 and the Colette beignet skirt. You’ll be able to see those next time.

4 comments:

  1. This turned out nice. It doesn't look bulky at the waist at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Nice top. The fabric looks so great and your fit looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is soooo lovely! It is seriously the best version I've seen of this pattern. Red is your color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about to try this pattern. Will follow your lead and add length as it seems really short in size 30.

    ReplyDelete